Saturday 2 November 2013

Tricked

My dear husband went to Denmark this past week for a conference. I stayed behind. No biggie! I have been alone many, many times and frankly enjoy the peace and quiet. Not to mention being able to scarf down an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's and declaring it dinner. Anyhoo, husband assisted in getting the house ready for the assault of St. Jude - storm, not saint - and made sure I was armed with firewood, candles, batteries, peanut butter and Ben and Jerry's.

What my husband did not do, is to help me ready for Halloween. He stated with the utmost authority that Halloween was an American candy-fest that English children did not partake in. He was backed up by the fact that the stores here were not laden with bags and bags of cavity inducing sweets. Not one pop-up costume store was in sight. Sure, there was the odd jack o'lantern, and an occasional spider web, but no haunted houses and trunk-or-treat events and costume contests. And truthfully, the spider web had more to do with poor housekeeping on my part. Therefore, and ergo, and so it would seem, I ignored Halloween.

Halloween found me. I was sitting here exhausted from being traumatised by the less than saintly storm, when I heard quite a commotion outside. Apparently every single child under the age of thirteen in all of Southeast England had congregated to go trick-or-treating! What I heard were the throngs of parental figures out taking pictures of their costumed off-spring. Imagine the expletives that burst forth from my lips. Or maybe don't. It was not pleasant. But, I digress. I started running around to see if I had anything more than a lint covered breath mint in the bottom of my purse. Could I give these children wine? Socks? A book? I had these things. What I did not have was Halloween candy. Or so I thought.

Turns out my Mom sent me the most AMAZING care package. It was filled with Jif peanut butter, and Hidden Valley ranch dressing, and Trader Joe's peanut bars, and wait for it...HALLOWEEN CANDY! Whew! I had avoided depleting the husband's wine stash and could remain socked for the winter. Turns out, the kids all thought I was a rock-star for handing our Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Hershey Bars, and M&M's. I will admit I hid my Heath Bars from the children. Those are mine, and if I had to sacrifice a bottle of Vin de Poo Poo, I would have.

I was impressed. With no stores selling pre-fab costumes around for miles, the kids were in very clever home-made costumes. I did not see a single slutty nurse, slutty witch or slutty devil. I do not miss Halloween costumes in the U.S., by the way. Kids were believable pirates and goblins and the cutest little ghosts you have seen. I really enjoyed the experience! Do not,  however, tell the husband I had fun. I am still a bit miffed at him for steering me wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment