Thursday 7 November 2013

Eat Fresh

I finally did it. I succumbed to my inner American-fast-food-craving-five-year-old and went to Subway. I was getting a wee bit homesick, and the smell of freshly baked sub rolls wafted through the train station practically demanding that I stop. And stop I did. I was almost giddy. On the walls were black and white renderings of New York City and Chicago and Washington DC. I saw packages of Doritos glistening in red and gold and blue. Coca Cola products were standing at attention in the cooler waiting for me to chose which lucky one would perfectly compliment my sub choice. I was ready.

Even though I knew exactly what I wanted, I glanced up at the menu for reassurance. It was my first clue that I was no longer in America.  Oh sure, they had the standard Italian BMT, the Subway Club and the Spicy Italian.  They also had Chicken Tikka and Chicken Tandoori. Cool! I can handle an addition or two. Just let me have my sub the way I like it. I ordered my Italian BMT and was practically salivating in anticipation. They toasted it perfectly melting my provolone into a delicious pool of, well...meltiness. I ordered my standard ingredients: tomato, black olives and oil and vinegar. They carefully laid my tomato slices and black olives on this masterpiece in progress, and then it happened. My long-awaited warm, soft bun of delectable goodness could not be completed. Subway UK does not offer oil and vinegar.

The sandwich maker must have thought I was suddenly afflicted with some bizarre disease that left me mute with a look of stricken horror frozen on my face. When I was finally  able to compose myself, I managed to choke out some pathetic jumble of words that sounded something like "whatamisupposedtodowhatelsedoyouhave?" The poor employee painted on her brightest smile and said "the suggested sauces are Chipotle  Southwest or BBQ Sauce".  Okay. The southwest one I sorta get..it is at least spicy, but barbecue? Remember I ordered an ITALIAN sandwich. And as an American I can say with some authority that we don't tend to put barbecue sauce on our cold cuts. Ick.

I managed to pull myself together, and ordered the Chipotle Southwest sauce. It was an extra 80p, by the way.  I was heartbroken. I had already resigned myself to the Doritos in disguise...same chips, different names. Nacho Cheese Doritos are Tangy Cheese; Cool Ranch is Cool Original over this pond. At least they taste pretty much as expected. I grabbed my Coke from the cooler and sat down to eat armed with chocolate chunk cookies to provide comfort, although the excitement had waned to defeated resignation.

I was pleasantly surprised! My sandwich was absolutely delicious! I did not once miss the oil and vinegar I had so become accustomed to. An unexpected added benefit was the complete absence of vinegar induced sog which is a known hazard to Subway aficionados in the United States. I could definitely get used to this. I realized that I had become one of "those people" who travel expecting everything to be exactly the same as home, just with wonderful scenery and Disneyesque adventure and experience. I don't want to be like that. I want to enjoy the similarities and savor the differences in my new home.

They do still put special sauce on the Big Macs though...right?


Italian BMT and Subway Club are  registered trademarks of Subway. Big Mac belongs to McDonald's (the restaurant, not clan)  and is trademarked. Doritos and its various iterations are also registered trademarks. So is Coca Cola. I am not trying to advocate for or against any of these products and since I have a readership in the tens,  I really think that should cover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment