Friday 13 December 2013

Best Christmas Present Ever!

I realise I have recently written a blog on the worst Christmas presents I have received, so it seemed only fair to share the best one. John, being male, did not actually think about it being so grand, but it all worked out for him. The actual conversation about said gift went something like this. John: "there is this Rutter Christmas thingie at the Albert Hall. Wanna go?" Me: "cool!". That's how we roll. Anyhoo, we travelled to London yesterday for the concert. In fairness, the actual title was the John Rutter Christmas Celebration with the Royal Philharmonic at the Royal Albert Hall. Rutter Christmas thingie is infinitely easier to remember.

We arrived at the RAH (Royal Albert Hall) where I was treated to the  most wonderful luncheon at the Coda Restaurant overlooking the Royal Academy of Music. The food was stunningly simple and and delicious. I had some perfectly seared scallops over a chili avocado puree for my starter, and grilled halibut for my main. Exquisite! Anyone who knows me well knows I had dessert as well. It was this chocolate sphere that melted open to reveal an orange marmalade and ice cream centre when warm sauce was poured on it. YUM!

Our seats were great. We sat in the box seats on the second level. RAH was dressed in its Christmas best with glittering trees and twinkling lights. And the music. There are not enough iterations of beautiful in my vocabulary to fully describe the magnificence of the music. St. Alban's choir joined the philharmonic on many of Rutter's own arrangements. John Rutter himself has great humour and his commentary between pieces added joy and fun to the occasion. The audience sang along with many of the carols, and did an outstanding job of singing the Hallelujah chorus. I think the English must learn the piece in utero. And their appropriate part.

The ensemble performed Little Lamb by John Tavener  in his memory, as he died only last month. Then the guest mezzo-soprano joined in for an additional piece not listed in the program. John Rutter dedicated Kum Bay Yah to Nelson Mandela. Wow. Achingly simple and powerful, it was the most moving memorial we have heard to date. The soloist started with "Someone's crying Lord" sombrely and soberly. Then "Someone's praying, Lord" and finally with great exuberance and celebration, "Someone's singing Lord". I don't believe there was a dry eye in the house.

The concert was wonderful. And bittersweet. I would have loved to have had my Dad singing along next to me. My sister would have so loved the different arrangements and pointed out nuances this untrained musician surely missed. I missed my beloved St. John choir from my home planet. They would have loved every single moment.

Another favourite was Silent Night. Rutter's arrangement breathed new life into this Christmas classic. The children's chorus added a sweetness and purity against the warmth of the clarinet and horn. It was simply exquisite and evoked a Brahm's lullaby. I leave you with a clip of Silent Night. From the best Christmas present I have ever received. Ever.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a portion of your present. That is a lovely arrangement. And you heard the Philharmonic?? I probably would have sobbed the entire concert from the sheer magnificence of the music.

    ReplyDelete